The Student News Site of The Potomac School

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia
Recent Results
Select a Sport
The Potomac School
6
SSSA
12
Apr 16 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
6
Paul VI
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Boys Tennis
The Potomac School
7
Bishop O'Connell
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
17
Maret
4
Apr 11 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
15
St. Andrews Episcopal
0
Apr 11 / Varsity Softball
The Potomac School
6
Georgetown Visitation
8
Apr 9 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
10
Holton-Arms
0
Apr 9 / Varsity Softball

Potomac’s Varsity Squash Team is Poised to Return to the Highest Levels of Competition

Ben+Levy+25+rallies+against+Landons+%231+player.+
PantherPrints
Ben Levy ’25 rallies against Landon’s #1 player.

It was the Squash Nationals, and I had the honor of representing the Boys Varsity Team at the top of the ladder. My opponent was significantly higher ranked than me, but I had him on the ropes, and felt that I was on track to deliver a stunning upset. But then suddenly, I pulled my hamstring, and the match was over. What felt like a tragic defeat in the moment turned into a blessing, as I discovered new ways to stay engaged in Potomac squash during my recovery. In the weeks that followed, I found myself wooing talented young athletes from IS in an effort to fill the future pipeline for varsity squash at our school. And during this process, I found a renewed sense of joy and fulfillment through squash.

Squash at Potomac has a pretty distinguished history –– but also its share of ups and downs. Before COVID, the boys’ squash team was ranked 16th in the nation. As a “Division 1” team (a grouping of the top 16 high school squash programs), we were on a trajectory for breaking into the top 10 nationally. However, the pandemic brought unforeseen challenges, halting this momentum and leading to a decline that saw the team relegated to Division 4. Similarly, the girls’ team, which was in Division 3 before the pandemic, experienced fluctuations in their standing, moving up to Division 2 the year after COVID and then back down to Division 3. These shifts were due to a number of factors, including a lack of continuity in coaching and a disruption of the pipeline of interest among younger students.

Our squash teams are now witnessing a resurgence. At the helm of this revival is the new coaching staff headed by Chad Smith, whose leadership and expertise have begun to reignite interest in the sport. The current team of coaches is delivering fresh perspectives and strategies, setting the stage for rebuilding the teams from the ground up by providing a strong technical foundation for the younger players. This new direction, however, is not just about refining skills and tactics, but also about fostering a culture of commitment, resilience, and teamwork among the players; this is seen in an increase of team dinners and meetings, to practices mixing between skill levels, to additional captain’s practices, and more.

Without question, Potomac’s varsity squash teams have a legacy of pride and competitive spirit within the school’s athletic department. With the completion of the Spangler Center, Potomac now boasts 11 squash courts, a number that exceeds almost any school I’ve seen and signifies the school’s long-term commitment to the sport. To be sure, Potomac’s varsity squash teams have seen better days, but the future’s looking bright.

Given the new and inspiring dynamic at Potomac, I look forward to my senior year on the team. My goal for next year is to help further cultivate the technical foundations for our younger players and expand the pipeline of talent so that we can eventually reach a level of competitiveness and excellence that surpasses our pre-pandemic glory. This goal is not merely about reclaiming lost rankings but about setting new standards for success and sportsmanship. I also find myself exploring similar opportunities to participate in varsity squash at the college level. I don’t know how that is going to turn out yet, but I am relishing the journey.