The Student News Site of The Potomac School

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia
Recent Results
Select a Sport
The Potomac School
6
SSSA
12
Apr 16 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
6
Paul VI
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Boys Tennis
The Potomac School
7
Bishop O'Connell
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
17
Maret
4
Apr 11 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
15
St. Andrews Episcopal
0
Apr 11 / Varsity Softball
The Potomac School
6
Georgetown Visitation
8
Apr 9 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
10
Holton-Arms
0
Apr 9 / Varsity Softball

Potomac’s Cherished Winter Lights Assembly Connects our Community before the Break

Courtesy of Pantherprints.
The Strings Orchestra performs in last year’s Winter Lights assembly.

Winter break is just around the corner, and students and teachers are counting down the days. However, one more important event to celebrate is the Winter Lights assembly this Wednesday, December 20. Winter Lights is more than just a celebration of the winter season.  Winter Lights gives student musicians an opportunity to showcase their talents and hard work in an assembly that is deeply meaningful to the community. It’s a celebration of the school community, a vibrant tapestry woven from the threads of diverse cultures, traditions, and perspectives. 

To get a sense of the importance of the event, we spoke with four of Potomac’s music teachers: Mr. Jerry Rich (chorus), Mr. Michael DiCuirci (band), Ms. Adela Wynn (strings), and Mr. Nick Hanson (bells).

Mr. Rich explained the background of Winter Lights:  “We started with the Christmas assembly for [just] Christmas. We had Christmas carols and all kinds of stuff. And then we said we should do a holiday assembly. Suddenly, we realized that some holidays don’t happen in winter. My thought is that we want to embrace more people rather than say this is just it because no matter what you do, you’re going to leave somebody out.”

Mr. DiCuirci described the combination of diverse perspectives and holiday fun that makes Winter Lights so special: “It always feels different than some other assemblies because it feels intimate and unique that you’re hearing from students in a different way. And you know, you have the holiday magic thrown in there.”

Mr. Rich remarked on the joy of hearing student and faculty speakers.  “I enjoy the speeches because they’re chosen very carefully to have different points of view and because they have something interesting to say. Sometimes they are about some crazy uncle at holiday time. Some are about families that get together with their extended family.” 

“I love hearing about your experiences, whether it’s growing up, a memory, or just whatever silly game you play every holiday,” Mr. Hanson said.

Mrs. Wynn remarked, “You think your family is the only one with really strange and weird customs that you do, and you hear all kinds of crazy things that families do, and it’s just their normal.” 

Tucker Robbins ‘25 emphasized the moment of connection we share during Winter Lights, commenting, “I think it’s nice to get into the spirit together as a community and recognize the vast array of traditions that people celebrate. Also just to feel the spirit of the holidays together.”

This year’s Winter Lights Assembly will be filled with music, speeches, and performances that reflect the rich diversity of our school community.