The Student News Site of The Potomac School

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia
Recent Results
Select a Sport
The Potomac School
6
SSSA
12
Apr 16 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
6
Paul VI
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Boys Tennis
The Potomac School
7
Bishop O'Connell
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
17
Maret
4
Apr 11 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
15
St. Andrews Episcopal
0
Apr 11 / Varsity Softball
The Potomac School
6
Georgetown Visitation
8
Apr 9 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
10
Holton-Arms
0
Apr 9 / Varsity Softball

Potomac Boys Soccer Set High Expectations Last Year with Historic Victory – But Can They Keep it Up?

Will the Graduation of Star Seniors Impact their Chances of Repeat Victories?

Last season, the Potomac Boys Varsity Soccer team won the MAC and fought to the Virginia Independent Schools State championship semi-finals – a feat, alongside a regular-season victory, that had not been accomplished since 1998. As the current season unfolds, the team has high expectations to meet. But after some of the team’s stars graduated, including Scott Landry and Watt Marin, they knew it faced a tall order to win the MAC and live up to their former glory. Junior Patrick Ritter noted that last year’s success was not “a couple of players doing everything. It really took everybody.” In the opinion of Junior JP Sosnitsky, “We should shoot for a state title. That’s, that’s the big goal. I think setting our sights on just the MAC is not it.”

On October 6th, Potomac played Collegiate, ranked #1 in the VISAA  (Virginia Independent School Athletic Association). Before the game, JP stated it would be “a very big test.” The game ended in a very close 1-0 loss to a second-half penalty kick. Throughout the game, Potomac performed outstandingly by pressing hard and moving the ball around. Despite the close loss, the team was far from failing “the test.” They proved they could rival the best independent school team in the state. Potomac remains #1 in the MAC, but will have to face strong opponents in the future. 

“I would just say it’s a whole lot of fun, especially being able to create new friendships with the upperclassmen. So, other than that, I feel like I’m just looking forward to a great season and having fun with the team,” Lawson Watt 27’.