The Student News Site of The Potomac School

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia
Recent Results
Select a Sport
The Potomac School
6
SSSA
12
Apr 16 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
6
Paul VI
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Boys Tennis
The Potomac School
7
Bishop O'Connell
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
17
Maret
4
Apr 11 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
15
St. Andrews Episcopal
0
Apr 11 / Varsity Softball
The Potomac School
6
Georgetown Visitation
8
Apr 9 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
10
Holton-Arms
0
Apr 9 / Varsity Softball

In a Tough Conference, Potomac Girls Soccer is Fighting to Regain its Place at the Top

After a demanding matchup, the Panthers suffered an overtime loss against conference leader Georgetown Visitation
Reagan Exley ’24, trailed by Sonali Kaneriya ’26, dribbles the ball toward the Georgetown Visitation goal.

As last year’s ISL soccer champions, the team knew that they were going to have to fight hard to live up to expectations. Fortunately, the many players returning from last year brought confidence and team orientation to the team. Remaining undefeated during the pre-season and at the beginning of the regular season, the team showcased their new and returning players. Led by captains Regan Exley ‘24, Brooke Parry ‘24, and Selma Elrefai ‘24, the first-time Potomac Varsity players joined the team with ease. Potomac Panthers Reagan Exley ‘24 and Chloe Lee ‘25 were even featured in a Washington Post article, “Potomac School Soccer Duo Sparks Strong Start.”

In a pivotal game against leading rival Georgetown Visitation on September 28, Potomac and the Visitation fought to a draw for 80 minutes before going to overtime. The game started off slowly for the Panthers, when they conceded a goal within the first ten minutes of the first half. Soon after, Visitation scored again, leaving the Panthers down by two.

Right before the first half ended, Reagan Exley ‘24 dribbled past four Visitation defenders and found the back of the net from the top of the 18. Heading into the second half, the Panthers were trailing 2-1 behind the Visitation Cubs until Alden Marin ‘26 scored an instant equalizer. The Panthers were dominating the game going into overtime until the Cubs scored off of a chaotic corner kick at the end of the first overtime period. They scored again to seal the victory, leaving PGVS with their first loss of the season. Coach Ross McEwen said “It was a tough loss – I believe the team can get a different result next time.” Fueled by the tough loss, and the disappointment of many unlucky shots, the Potomac Panthers are ready to come out stronger and dominate the next matches – especially against the Cubs going into the postseason.