The Student News Site of The Potomac School

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia
Recent Results
Select a Sport
The Potomac School
6
SSSA
12
Apr 16 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
6
Paul VI
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Boys Tennis
The Potomac School
7
Bishop O'Connell
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
17
Maret
4
Apr 11 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
15
St. Andrews Episcopal
0
Apr 11 / Varsity Softball
The Potomac School
6
Georgetown Visitation
8
Apr 9 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
10
Holton-Arms
0
Apr 9 / Varsity Softball

Mr. Sanil Patel Answers The Current’s 17 Questions

In this third instalment of our series, our staff writers get to know our new Associate Director of College Counseling

In our just-published print edition, The Current launched our 17 Questions series of interviews. We’re now expanding the series to our online edition. Inspired by Vogue’s 73 Questions, staff of The Current asks 17 questions to members of the Potomac School community. In our back-to-school print edition, we featured interviews with both Ms. Bolton and Mr. Lucas. For this third installment, staff writers Darya Mirali and Olivia Youmans interviewed Mr. Sanil Patel, the Upper School’s new Associate Director of College Counseling. Here we get to know a little more about him through quick and quirky questions. Read about Mr. Patel’s hobbies, favorite things, and inspirations. 

Question #1: What was your favorite subject in high school? 

Latin. I think because I was good at it. And also it was interesting both the language and the culture.

Question #2: Why did you choose to become a teacher? What inspired you along your journey?

I really love working with kids. And also I found when I was in school, the teachers were sort of an important mentor to have and looking for those individuals when I was in school was something that I found really important. And so I wanted to sort of hopefully be that one day for other students.

Question #3: Was there a teacher in particular that personally helped you the most?

Yes, yes, many of them – but I can think of my third grade teacher, Miss Elan, who really sort of just showed me that learning was much more than just showing up and like coming to school, but it can be enjoyable.

Question #4: Are there any interesting hobbies or activities you enjoy outside of your work at Potomac?

I love to travel. I love to cook and I love trying restaurants. I love trying coffee shops, exploring and anything adventurous.

Question #5: Where’s your favorite place you’ve traveled to?

Copenhagen was great. I went during the summer.

Question #6: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?

I’m kind of a germaphobe. 

Question #7:. What is your favorite thing to cook?

I love simple, feel good meals, like breakfast sandwiches in the morning. Or I love making pizza. Like little pizza oven or super layer to depth sandwiches and stuff just like really homey sort of cooked meals.

Question #8: Do you like to cook for anyone?

Yeah, I cook for my wife a lot. But mostly it’s just trying new new recipes and things that I see. It’s fun to recreate and sort of do stuff with different ingredients in the kitchen.

Question #9: What’s your favorite holiday and why? 

Thanksgiving. It’s not close. Food, family and football all in one sort of day, I think it’s fantastic. Any holiday set around food is the best. 

Question #10: We’ve heard you like the show Succession, what drew you in about it? 

Oh my gosh, I think the storyline is hilarious, but it’s mostly just like the quick witted humor. Understanding and trying to keep up with sort of all the things that are going on in a fast paced show I think is more of a challenge. And also, the enjoyment is great as well.

Question #11: What do you like to do to relax and unwind?

I like evening walks after dinner. I feel like it just sort of like mentally cleanses me from the day I can get outside because I feel like I don’t get outside as much sort of in here. And it’s a good way to digest. 

Question #12: Is there a favorite place you like to go?

Around here? Not yet. I mean, I’m still exploring. So sort of just thinking, Oh, actually, maybe the Mount Vernon trail? Yeah, it’s pretty cool. It might be a basic answer. 

Question #13: Do you have a favorite dessert and if so, what is it?

Yes, I do. I don’t know if it’s a dessert but I love fruit tarts, especially with really good in season fresh fruits. They’re hard to find and find one.

Question #14: Do you like Starbucks? And if so what is your go to Starbucks?

I don’t hate Starbucks. I prefer to have a specialty like a local coffee shop. If I was gonna go to Starbucks, I think I just like flat whites. 

Question #15: Why is it that round pizzas come in square boxes?

That’s a good question. No, never thought about it. I don’t know probably, so it could fit into the delivery box ’cause that’s clear. I don’t know if that’s true or not. Probably one of the reasons. 

Question #16: What’s the best genre of music?

Early 2000s R&B. 

Question #17: If you can still remember, what are your funniest childhood memories?

Oh, man. I was just such a talkative kid. So I would just like to talk to any person that would walk by when my parents would take me out. And I love talking so much that they would just catch me talking to trees and like random stuff. 

Olivia and Darya: Thank you so much for the interview!