The Student News Site of The Potomac School

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia
Recent Results
Select a Sport
The Potomac School
6
SSSA
12
Apr 16 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
6
Paul VI
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Boys Tennis
The Potomac School
7
Bishop O'Connell
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
17
Maret
4
Apr 11 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
15
St. Andrews Episcopal
0
Apr 11 / Varsity Softball
The Potomac School
6
Georgetown Visitation
8
Apr 9 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
10
Holton-Arms
0
Apr 9 / Varsity Softball

Mr. Morgan Answers The Current’s 17 Questions

Mr. Cort Morgan

Our most recent edition of 17 Questions is with Mr. Morgan, the K-12 Chair of the Art Department and Upper School Art Teacher. Read Mr. Morgan’s 17 responses as he shares insights into his past, his long journey at Potomac, and many of his favorite things. 

Editor’s Note: This transcript has been lightly edited for clarity.

Question 1: How long have you worked at Potomac?

Mr. Morgan: 40 years.  

Question 2: How has Potomac changed over the years that you’ve been here?

Mr. Morgan: Well, it’s become much bigger. And we’ve actually added more land, which is remarkable in this part of the DC area. So that’s obvious, but in more important ways, we’ve broadened, deepened, and extended the experience for students, especially in the Upper School, to pursue their interests in much more depth.

Question 3: What’s your favorite project that your students have done?

Mr. Morgan: We’re doing a project now in Advanced Architecture that combines work in the studio with the history and layers of culture in a neighborhood in Arlington. I think putting all that together is really exciting for students and certainly for me, too, and it makes a real-world connection.

Question 4: What was your favorite subject when you were in high school?

Mr. Morgan: Well, art was right up there. But I also loved English. And I studied Latin and French, too. So I mean, probably in order, it would be art and English tied, and then maybe the languages.

Question 5: Where’s your favorite spot on campus and why?

Mr. Morgan: Well, I’d say the Swing Tree, because there’s so much history there. At least 250 years of history is represented in that tree.

Question 6: Do you have any hidden talents?

Mr. Morgan: Probably not. No. I don’t know. I think all my talents, whatever they are, are visible.

Question 7: Did you always want to be a teacher, or was there something else that you wanted to be when you were a kid?

Mr. Morgan: I think I wanted to be an archaeologist, just because time interests me so much, and where we came from. How we got the way we are. But teaching is great and I love teaching.

Question 8: What are you looking forward to this school year?

Mr. Morgan: (Laughs) Seeing the incredible work of my student Trevor? I think just seeing what happens in classes and what students imagine and create.

Question 9: What’s one thing that people would be surprised to know about you?

Mr. Morgan: I can’t think of anything that people would be really surprised to hear about me.

Question 10: What do you love most about your job?

Mr. Morgan: I love learning and I love watching other people go through their own pathways of learning. It’s very exciting. I mean, that’s what good schools do. We don’t want to order people around. We just want to open up avenues for them.

Question 11: What’s your favorite activity outside of school?

Mr. Morgan: Well, I really like hiking. I have a little place out in the Virginia mountains. I go out there and go hiking and watch the bears and the deer and the ravens. I do also like to travel a lot to study.

Question 12: I’ve heard that you’ve made furniture from wood on campus. What’s your favorite thing that you’ve made?

Mr. Morgan: Well, students have made a lot of furniture too. But I guess if you’re asking me just something I did, there’s a table in the alumni office that’s made out of a single slab of old Gumtree wood with very clean and modern metal legs. I think that’s one of my favorites. It’s really cool looking.

Question 13: What’s one thing that makes you smile the most?

Mr. Morgan: I don’t know. Just silly jokes, I guess a good pun. There’s an old saying “A pun well done is rare.”

Question 14: What Potomac traditions do you look forward to this year?

Mr. Morgan: I mean, all of them. I would say I like things like Homecoming and Fall Frolics. I really like Winter Lights because it’s usually a way for a group of students and faculty to share things in a solemn and meaningful way about their lives and their families. So many people come back for that day; it’s fun to see them all come back.

Question 15: What’s the first thing you do when you step into school each morning?

Mr. Morgan: Well, I open up all the art studios, put all the chairs down, and just make sure stuff’s working. After that, I usually have a little talk with Ms. Enck or get a cup of coffee.

Question 16: What do you think of the songs during the passing period this year?

Mr. Morgan: I mean, we’ve had the songs for a long time. I probably haven’t noticed too closely if the songs are different. But I like some music during the passing time. So, generally, I’m a big fan. I don’t have any complaints.

Question 17: What is one thing that makes you feel accomplished?

Mr. Morgan: When I hear from an alum who’s out there in the world, maybe 10 years or 20 years out, who says that something we did here still matters. That makes me feel great. Then, I think that we’re on the right track as a school, and I’m on the right track as a teacher.

Trevor: And that’s 17 questions. Thank you for talking with me. 

Mr. Morgan: You’re very welcome.