The Student News Site of The Potomac School

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia
Recent Results
Select a Sport
The Potomac School
6
SSSA
12
Apr 16 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
6
Paul VI
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Boys Tennis
The Potomac School
7
Bishop O'Connell
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
17
Maret
4
Apr 11 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
15
St. Andrews Episcopal
0
Apr 11 / Varsity Softball
The Potomac School
6
Georgetown Visitation
8
Apr 9 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
10
Holton-Arms
0
Apr 9 / Varsity Softball

South Asian Student Alliance Dancers Wow the Upper School

Celebrating Diwali and Navratri, students and faculty share their cultural heritage in an EPAC assembly
Meera Desai ‘25, Karina Satoskar ‘25, Anya Aggarwal ‘25, Anaahita Kaashyap ‘25 perform a traditional Garba dance.

In the last full week before Thanksgiving, students gathered in EPAC for what might have been another same-old assembly. They were soon blown away by the energetic, colorful, and entertaining Indian dance solo by Anaahita Kaashyap ’25. The intricate, rhythmic movements with flamboyant arm gestures across the stage left the audience in awe. Anaahita’s expressive hand gestures and dance movements conveyed the meaning of the song, drawing the audience into the narrative. After the assembly, students in the audience congratulated their peers who had put on a joyous performance. 

The US assembly on Nov 14 was produced by the South Asian Student Alliance, led by Meera Vadlamani ’24, Meera Desai ’25, and Anaahita. The assembly celebrated two important holidays in South Asian culture, Diwali and Navratri. Students in the SASA shared their family experiences during the holidays and showed photographs, many from when they were young children with their grandparents. Students learned about various South Asian family traditions, including food, clothing, dancing, and the history behind the holidays. 

Potomac’s new ninth-grade dean and US history teacher, Mr. Andrew McGrath, added a faculty voice when he described the pride he took in the half of his family that is Indian. Mr. McGrath said that when he was invited to participate in the presentations, “If I could go up there and show that there is someone like myself an example” that would show students that his culture is central to everything he does and he thinks about it all the time. Mr. McGrath taught us that your heritage is less related to anything external than it is to how you feel.