The Student News Site of The Potomac School

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia
Recent Results
Select a Sport
The Potomac School
6
SSSA
12
Apr 16 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
6
Paul VI
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Boys Tennis
The Potomac School
7
Bishop O'Connell
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
17
Maret
4
Apr 11 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
15
St. Andrews Episcopal
0
Apr 11 / Varsity Softball
The Potomac School
6
Georgetown Visitation
8
Apr 9 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
10
Holton-Arms
0
Apr 9 / Varsity Softball

Student-Athletes Join the Cast of Hairspray, Potomac’s Spring Musical

The Musical Highlights Segregation in 1960s Baltimore

Hairspray is filled with vibrance, energy, and dancing (and, of course, hairspray to hold all the big bouncy curls). The musical, based on John Water’s 1988 film, with music and lyrics by Marc Shaiman, is set in Baltimore in 1962, where segregation in America is center stage. The main character, Tracy Turnblad, is chosen at an audition for a spot on The Corny Collins Show and becomes an overnight celebrity and trendsetter. The musical chronicles her journey as a rising star who can integrate the show. The musical challenged Potomac’s theater program with harsh realities of American history, some of which are still felt.

Ms. Mia Fisher-Phillips (known to the troupe as MFP), the Head of Theater, the Director of Theater Productions, and the Upper School Theater Teacher changed Potomac’s traditional casting by including in-season athletes. Although casting to reflect the diversity in the musical initially appeared to be a challenge, student-athletes were invited to join the cast despite being on spring sports teams. MFP explained, “I really, really wanted to provide an opportunity for all different types of kids that wanted to do theater and participate, to give them that avenue. And I knew that it was going to take a lot of work in terms of figuring out a schedule and working with coaches, but it was going to be worth it.”

MFP’s collaboration with the Head Track and Field coach, Meredith Valmon, resulted in athletes splitting days when they attend practice vs. rehearsals.

Cast members Monica Mbakop ’26, Nicholas Derisca ’26, Nasir Yankey ’26, and Gabriel Martin ’26 saw the musical as a unique opportunity, even though they knew that running in practice is essential to their results. Nicholas said, “I feel like my performance is not what it could be. I’m getting injured every time I practice, but I am still gonna pursue it because that’s what my heart desires.” Monica reflected on a lesson they have all learned through this experience: “managing time better and making compromises.”

Hairspray will be performed in the Lanstaff Auditorium in EPAC on Friday, May 17, at 6:30 p.m. and Saturday, May 18, at 2 and 7 p.m. You can request reservations here.