Potomac’s Girls Lacrosse Knocks Out Collegiate in the VISAA Quarterfinals

The team heads to Charlottesville on Thursday for the Semis

Claire Berg

PGVL celebrating a win on the 2023 Spring Break trip

Charlotte Gabriel, Sports Editor and Assistant Managing Editor

From numerous defensive lockdowns to cunning offensive plays, the Potomac Girls Lacrosse team triumphed in a breathtaking game against Collegiate. In the midfield, sophomores Catherine Letendre and Amory Imperatore controlled the draw, with Kate Motley ‘23 dominating ground balls. The defense was led by Cate Dannahey ‘23. Freshman defender Nathalia Kellett had a clutch interception in the first half, with others following her lead. The defensive unit was able to hold off the Collegiate attackers for three minutes in the second half without a shot. Nathalia worked effectively alongside freshmen Ally Griswold and Alden Marin, as well as sophomore Margit Crittenberger and junior Abby Park. Aria Patnaik ‘25 kicked off the offensive action with an early goal in the first half, firing a low shot past Collegiate goalie Avery Greenberg.

The team advances to the VISAA semifinals to play St. Anne’s-Belfield (currently ranked first in the state) on Thursday, May 18th in Charlottesville. PGVL has had an outstanding season so far, with exciting milestone events including senior midfielder Kate Motley’s 100th goal during an away game against Bullis, sophomore attacker Stella Pence’s 100th assist, and an exhilarating overtime win against Georgetown Visitation (previously ranked 15th nationally). The team’s overall season record stands at 13-5.