Senior Tributes: Part One

During the course of their sophomore, junior, and senior years, the Class of 2023 Science and Engineering Research Concentration (SERC) students worked with mentors on independent research projects. These slides feature their projects

Grace Lee Grace’s project focused on “strengthening the potential of using tooth enamel as a biomarker for major depressive disorder (MDD) through literature analysis.”

Kate Choi, Editor-in-Chief

• Arya Bansal Arya’s project “revolutionizes medical imaging by introducing a novel objective and comprehensive PET/CT analysis framework. In this framework, data in the form of radiomic features are extracted from PET/CTs.” 

• Alex Christ Alex worked on “drug-loaded micromotors that could propel themselves in a stomach-like environment, carry a cancer drug, and kill cancer cells.” He stated that these micromotors “could be the first step in creating a more direct and safe treatment of gastric cancer.”

• Mika Dewar Mika’s SERC project was focused on “creating a prototype for a publicly available app that would allow users to detect deepfake videos.”  She used a “relatively new method of detecting deepfakes called remote photoplethysmography (rPPG), that allows for contactless monitoring of human cardiac activity through a video camera.” 

• Lauren Foster Lauren worked in a lab that “created a graft to treat muscle loss diseases by removing the DNA from fresh muscle with biological detergents.” She enjoyed the “awesome experience to see the inside of a professional lab.” 

• Andrew Lay Andrew’s project was “a literature review of various scientific studies analyzing the effectiveness of numerous testing methods during upper extremity performance testing.” The research he reviewed has implications for “optimal testing procedures for various devices like prosthetics, exoskeletons, and more.”

• Grace Lee Grace’s project focused on “strengthening the potential of using tooth enamel as a biomarker for major depressive disorder (MDD) through literature analysis.”

• Keyana McLennon For her tribute, Keyana chose an image of a protein that “could model a competitive antagonist drug for degressive and trauma-induced peripheral nervous system myelination damage.” Keyana plans to put her skills to work in a “pre-medical health sciences” major.

• Laura Taylor Laura’s work is “centered around growing plants in lunar soil to promote long-term life on the moon by utilizing lunar material.” 

• Layah Nasr For Layah’s SERC project, she “worked with the West Breast Cancer Lab at Stanford University in order to conduct analysis on a stage 0 breast cancer genetic risk classifier called the 812 gene classifier.” Her project focused on assessing “whether or not the addition of clinical factors pertaining to breast cancer (hormone receptor status, age, grade, menopausal status etc…) would add prognostic value to the classifier and improve its risk assessment.”

• Lulu Tierney The focus of Lulu’s project “lies in planetary habitability- specifically, how planetary habitability varies as a function of inhabitance.”Lulu hopes that “through investigating the relationship between a planet’s atmosphere and its habitability,” she can gain “a clearer picture of what truly contributes to a planet’s habitability.”