The Student News Site of The Potomac School

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia

The Potomac Current

McLean, Virginia
Recent Results
Select a Sport
The Potomac School
6
SSSA
12
Apr 16 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
6
Paul VI
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Boys Tennis
The Potomac School
7
Bishop O'Connell
3
Apr 12 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
17
Maret
4
Apr 11 / Varsity Baseball
The Potomac School
15
St. Andrews Episcopal
0
Apr 11 / Varsity Softball
The Potomac School
6
Georgetown Visitation
8
Apr 9 / Varsity Girls Lacrosse
The Potomac School
10
Holton-Arms
0
Apr 9 / Varsity Softball

Potomac Hosts Model UN Conference

Chairing the WHO organization was a blast for this first-time Model UN club member who hopes it will lead to a greater emphasis on MUN at our school
Hundreds of thousands of students partiicpate nationally in Model UN. At Potomac, not so many.

On February 9-10, Potomac hosted its first Model UN conference in recent memory– a major step forward for the club. Model UN is an education simulation of the United Nations, teaching delegates about diplomacy, current events, and international relations. Around 90 delegates from more than seven different schools participated. As the host, approximately 20 Potomac students ran the conference, but we did not compete directly.

The Model UN competition comprises a series of committees, each run by Potomac students. The committees are grouped into three categories: The General Assembly, the Crisis Committee, and The Specialized Committee. The topics have a fascinating range, which included a reenactment of the Salem Witch Trials and a simulation in MUN format of the popular game, Among Us.

I chaired the World Health Organization of the General Assembly committee with Abigael Lonkeng ’25. Despite my lack of experience, I had a blast getting to know new people in Potomac and from different schools around the DMV. Our job as the chairs was to facilitate the simulation, calling on delegates representing different countries and ensuring that each topic reached a resolution. The two topics within the WHO committee were sexual education and contraceptive distribution, and healthcare accessibility to reduce maternal mortality rates in the Global South.

Not all of the 20 Potomac students who participated are active in our Model UN club. Some were brought in to fill necessary roles for us to fulfill our duties as the host school. Generally, in my opinion, Model UN seems underacknowledged in Potomac’s community. How did things end up this way?

At Potomac, clubs are overshadowed by much larger programs that grant activity credits, have huge budgets, and meet every day after school. Model UN, which enjoys much greater and more committed participation at many schools, has a very modest budget. Clubs rely on students with myriad multiple, overlapping commitments.  After attending only one conference and chairing a session for Potomac School’s Model UN Club, I know that we have much more to offer than our current structure at Potomac permits. I hope we can build on this event by attracting more students and meeting during both the A and B club blocks

Club leaders Anna O’Sullivan ‘24 and Tenley Overdeck ‘24 worked tirelessly, starting over the summer in meetings with Mr. Macdonald and Mr. Davis. I encourage anyone interested to visit us during the next B Block meeting in U303, Mr. McDonald’s room.