5 can’t miss movies for quarantine

Claire Coker, Multimedia Editor

Unfortunately, due to corona, we’ve been struggling through online school, but there are some upsides to attending classes from the comforts of your couch. You could easily turn on the mute button and turn off your video and slip into a movie or two. For future reference, here are a few movie suggestions.

1. Top Gun is one of my all-time favorite movies where the best of the best naval fighter pilots train to perfect their already model flying skills at Top Gun Naval Fighter Weapons School. Smug fighter pilot Maverick (Tom Cruise) catches the eye of his flight instructor, Charlotte Blackwood (Kelly McGillis), but his cocky demeanor and recklessness get him in trouble with his fellow pilots, particularly Iceman (Val Kilmer) known for his cool and collected manner. He’s competing to be the top of his class all while hot for the teacher. “Top Gun” was nominated for three Oscars and won for best music/original song. For all the people who already fell in love with these wingmen, get excited for the return of “Top Gun: Maverick” prepared to be released on December 23, 2020.
  2. Forrest Gump, the winner of the Potomac Pulse’s poll, was a pleasant surprise. Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks) perseveres through school bullies and with the help of his supportive mother (Sally Field) and only friend, Jenny (Robin Wright). His optimism through war and life’s challenges inspires others to be their best selves, but the one person he wants to help more than anything, his childhood sweetheart, Jenny, may be unwilling to accept the love she deserves. “Forrest Gump” won six of thirteen Oscars it was nominated for. This movie teaches its audience many life lessons, but ultimately, you never know whose life you’ll change maybe for the better.
  3. Annabelle, part of “The Conjuring” universe, is a great thriller and horror movie to keep you on your toes. I’m definitely a horror movie fan, but I’m not one to get scared easily. I’ve haven’t seen all the movies in “The Conjuring” series, but “Annabelle” has made countless horror movie lists. Annabelle, a vintage doll possessed by a demon, is a beacon for other unholy spirits that haunt a couple of paranormal investigators, their daughter, her friends, and of course, the babysitter.
  4. Onward is a relatively new Disney release about two brothers, one afraid of everything and the other afraid of nothing voiced by Chris Pratt and Tom Holland, and their journey to bring back their dad from the dead even if only for a day. Their first attempt is half-successful, bringing back the bottom half of their dad’s body, but they need to venture to find a Phoenix gem to restore him to full capacity. For all those Disney fans out there, this is a fun and touching story that brings families closer together. 
  5.   A Walk to Remember is the story of two high school students played by Shane West and Mandy Moore from different worlds who come together and are threatened by the pulls of high school and in the end, life itself. It’s perfect for people searching for a romantic movie and Nicholas Sparks fans. I’m looking at all you hopeless romantics.