Potomac Softball and Baseball Come Up Victorious in the ISL and MAC Championship

2023 is a banner year for Potomac sports

The Softball team celebrates their ISL tournament win after the game at Madiera

Abby Rebhan, Co-Editor-in-Chief

This past week, our Potomac varsity athletes have been competing in the MAC and ISL championships. In a coup for Potomac sports, all of the school’s athletic teams made it to their league Semifinals, with four teams going on to the championship game, and two teams finishing as conference champions.

After defeating Flint Hill 11-1 in the Semi-finals, the Potomac’s varsity baseball team was lined up to play against Sidwell Friends School. The team had split the two regular season games, losing the first 13-3 and winning the second 6-3. In the MAC tournament championship, the varsity pulled together 7 hits and 5 walks, while scoring 3 runs, and only giving up only 1 hit in the entire game.

Also bringing a banner back, the varsity softball team competed in their championship against rival Flint Hill, hoping to become back-to-back ISL AA champions after defeating Saint Stevens Saint Agnes 15-0 and Holton Arms 9-1. The heavy rain and pour field conditions failed to daunt the intrepid softballers as they defeated Flint Hill 11-0. “Saturday’s game really displayed our team’s ability to play as one and everybody showed up to play, even with the bad weather, and I love playing with the team and so proud of what we have accomplished so far,” Hayley Richardson ‘24 said. The team won all eleven of their ISL competitions, outscoring their opponents 147- 4 in conference matchups. The softball team continued their dominance into the VISAA state tournament, as the second seed, winning their frist match on Tuesday against Paul VI 15-0 in only 3 innings, when the mercy rule kicked in. The team hit 3 homeruns, by Hayley, Paige Shedler ‘25, and Abby Rebhan ‘24. They will travel to Dinwiddie High School on Thursday to compete in the state Semifinals against Trinity Episcopal.

The Baseball team gathers on the Gumtree field after their win against Sidwell