After a dominant run, Potomac’s Softball team makes it to the championship game before falling just short

Varsity+softball+after+a+hard+game.+%28Photo%3A+Potomac+Smugmug%29.+

Varsity softball after a hard game. (Photo: Potomac Smugmug).

Abby Rebhan, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Nine shutouts. Potomac’s varsity softball team was able to accomplish this in only one season. 

This year, the softball team was seeded first in the VISAA state tournament. With an incredibly skilled and talented team, they were eager to win the championship. In this year’s State championship, the team won their first two games 10-0 and made it to the championship, which took place on Friday, May 21st. 

Their opponents, Bishop O’Connell, scored two runs in the first inning, putting Potomac behind, requiring them to fight back. Neither team scored again until the sixth inning, where Potomac scored one run, and then another in the seventh inning, to tie the game. After one extra inning, O’Connell scored two more runs, and Potomac was unable to catch up, coming up on the wrong side of a 4-2 championship game.

Since the tournament was canceled last year, due to Covid, the team was unable to attend the state tournament last year, which made the team want to win even more this year. 

This season, the team went 9-1 and outscored their opponents 118-4. All the players gave immense effort, which allowed them to not let up any runs this season.

This year’s team also demonstrated its power at the plate with an impressive eight home runs, despite the shortened season. Senior Maria Urban and junior Yanna Bravewolf led the team with three home runs, and Senior Charlotte Tompson and Freshman Hayley Richardson each had one. 

“This year’s team had so much strength and ability and I really looked forward to seeing us live up to our potential at the state tournament,” said Maria. 

Although this season was not ideal, everyone on the team was looking forward to competing in the tournament. 

“We had a really competitive team that was able to do so well in the regular season, and I knew that we would do well win or loose”, freshman Hayley Richardson said. 

“This was one of the best softball games I’ve ever played,” said freshman Fae Butler. “Everyone gave their best effort by diving for balls and cheering for their teammates if they made a mistake or got a great hit.” 

The final score was 4-2 with a huge effort by Potomac’s team. They had an incredible season and won their last game for the league 13-0. 

Additionally, 5 of the players on the team were nominated for All-State titles including sophomore Erika Castellano, juniors Eva Butler and Yanna Bravewolf, and seniors Charlotte Thompson and Maria Urban. Maria Urban was also proclaimed softball VISAA Player of the Year.

“This is by far the best softball team Potomac has ever had and I had such a great time coaching them this season,” Head Coach Wayne Loving added. Potomac’s team really proved him right after their spectacular season.